Rutgers Camden participates in several mentoring programs that provide students with the opportunity to be matched with an attorney in a specific practice area/setting, geographic location, or with a specific type of employer.
New opportunities come in all of the time - including attending bar association functions and meetings free of charge as a student. Stop in or see a counselor for more details.
Information about some of the programs follows:
- NJ Law Firm Group 1L Mentor Program
- RU Alumni Career Network is a searchable database of alumni from Camden, New Brunswick, and Newark campuses who have volunteered to be mentors and share their expereinces with students and other alumni. (password = raptors).
- Alumni Mentor Network. This program pairs students with attorneys based on practice area and setting and geographical location. The program enables students to form a relationship with a legal professional who can offer advice and insight into the legal profession and who acts as a liason between law school and law practice. Click here for the mentoring form, which you can fill out and return to the Career Planning Office.
- Camden County Bar Association Law Student Day. Every spring, the Camden County Bar Association gives students an opportunity to shadow a Camden County Lawyer for a day - to see depositions, sit it on client meetings, attend trials, or learn about the real practice of law. The day is followed by an evening reception where all attorneys and students get a chance to mingle and discuss their experiences. Details come out in February or early March.
- Partners in Professionalism: Local Bar Associations, in cooperation with Career Planning, have identified experienced attorneys who are willing to mentor graduating law students during their last year. This is an opportunity to meet with respected legal professionals to get their perspectives on the legal profession and learn about the realities of practicing law. If interested in participating, click here and ask for more information about this program.