TRANSFERS: Fall 2012
Students in good standing with one full year of law studies at an ABA-accredited institution, may apply for admission for the fall semester by July 1. Reasons for the transfer should be submitted in a personal statement with the application. If enrolled at another law school during the spring semester immediately prior to seeking admission to Rutgers School of Law-Camden, an official transcript of work completed during this last semester must be on file with the Office of Admissions before consideration is given. Students applying for the fall semester may not take summer classes at their law school as grades do not become available in time to render a decision.
Students wishing to transfer mid-year must apply for visiting student status if all prior law school grades are not received by December. These applications are due November 1.
Transfer applicants should note the following:
- If admitted, transfer students may transfer up to 41 credit hours. Courses satisfactorily completed at the other school with a grade of C or better are usually accepted, even when the number of credits for a particular course differs from the number of credits for the same course at Rutgers Law School.
- Transfer grades are recorded as “Pass” grades, not as the numerical or letter grades originally awarded, and they are not included in the cumulative grade point average.
- Transfer students may participate in the student journal selections if they matriculate in the Fall of their second year.
- Although Rutgers accepts transfer credits but not grades, the Law School does take prior class rank into account when deciding graduation honors.
- Transfer students are not eligible for joint-degree programs.
To apply as a transfer student, please submit:
- J.D. application form, indicating you are applying for transfer. You may apply online or use paper forms.
- Personal statement which addresses the reasons you would like to complete your J.D. at Rutgers or indicates a need to be located in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which should be from a faculty member who taught you at your current law school.
- Official law school transcript showing grades for all first-year courses
- Letter of good standing from your current law school and eligibility to continue in the legal education program.
- Provide your rank-in-class at the end of the first year, if available.
- Register with LSDAS and have your report sent to Rutgers Law School at Camden.
$50 non-refundable application fee.
Transfer applicants are encouraged to schedule an interview with an admissions counselor during the spring semester. Please contact the Admissions Office for more information.
Upperclass students at other accredited law schools may apply as visiting students for no more then one academic year's credit to transfer back to their degree-granting law school. Students must complete all requirements listed under "Transfer Students" and also must submit a letter from the applicant's dean both authorizing the student to attend Rutgers School of Law-Camden and acknowledging that the transfer credits will be accepted at the applicant's school.