Tuition for the academic year 2015-16 is $23,665 for in-state (New Jersey resident) tuition and $35,871 for out-of-state (non-New Jersey) residents.

Part-time New Jersey resident tuition is $986 per credit; non-resident tuition is $1,495 per credit.

During 2015-16, student fees for the academic year are $3,177 for full-time students and $1,842 for part-time students.

Tuition information valid as of July 2015.

Rutgers Law School is dedicated to helping students finance their legal education. The school has been able to assist 90% of its admitted students with their financial needs through scholarships, loans and grants.

How to Apply

All applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually and submit it to the federal processor via the web at Applications must be received by the federal processor by March 15 preceding the academic year for which aid is sought. The law school's federal Title IV code number is 002629. Notification of financial aid decisions are made available via Rutgers University's Financial Aid Self-Service portal at for all students submitting a FAFSA as soon as possible after admission.  There is a definite advantage to submitting an early, accurate, and complete application. Financial aid transcripts from prior colleges are not required. Counseling is available by appointment at the financial aid office to all students regardless of whether they qualify for financial aid. When comparing aid offers from Rutgers with other institutions, students should remember that charges often differ significantly from school to school. Therefore, the important thing to consider is not the dollar value of a financial aid offer, but the difference between the total value of the financial aid package awarded by the institution and the cost of attending that institution.

Part-Time Students

Part-time students may qualify for federal student loans. The federal student financial aid sources (Federal Work-Study and Federal Direct Loan programs) require that a student enroll in a minimum of 6 credits per term to be eligible. All application procedures and deadlines applicable to full-time students apply to part-time students.



William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans

Federal Direct Student Loans (Direct Loans) are available to students from the federal government to pay for educational costs. These loans eliminate the need for an outside lender, such as a bank for your federal loans. To be considered for a Direct Loan, students must complete the FAFSA. Once the FASFA is reviewed, you will receive an award letter issued by Rutgers which will list eligibility for the program. Money for which students are eligible will be credited directly to their accounts. Because Rutgers has chosen to participate in direct lending, the university cannot accept any Federal Stafford applications from students or their lenders. Since the U.S. Department of Education is the lender for the Federal Direct Loan Program, borrowers will send all loan repayments to the department, rather than to several lenders. In general, to be eligible for a Direct Loan, a student must have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or meet other standards approved by the U.S. Department of Education, be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non citizen, be enrolled at least half time per term, be making satisfactory academic progress, have a Social Security number, sign a statement of educational purpose, not be in default on prior loans or owe refunds to a federal grant program, and register with the U.S. Selective Service Administration, if required. In addition to these requirements, most first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers must complete an online entrance interview via in order to be informed of their rights and responsibilities regarding the loan.  The aggregate limit for Federal Direct Loans is $138,500 (no more than $65,500 of which can be subsidized) for a graduate or professional student (including loans for undergraduate study).

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

This loan is not based on financial need, and all interest charges must be paid by the student. The in-school interest rate for 2012-13 is 6.8%. Students may borrow up to $20,500 per year.  The total debt permitted for all Stafford and Direct Loans is $138,500 (including loans for undergraduate study).

For additional information regarding Federal Direct Student Loans for Graduate/Professional students, visit the Direct Loan Website at


Alternative Loan Programs

The law school participates in all state and national loan programs, which enables a student to borrow the full estimated cost of education less other aid. These loan programs are considered to be private, not administered by either the federal or state government. There are wide variations in the terms and conditions offered by the many lending institutions, so students must do careful research to be sure they are applying for the loan program that best meets their needs and offers attractive options. These loans usually carry a variable rate of interest and are subject to the student passing a credit check. Additional information about these programs is available from the financial aid office.


Merit scholarships


Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP)

Federal work-study employment may be offered as a self-help portion of the financial aid award. Application for this program is made by filing the FAFSA. On-campus jobs are available in many areas. Selection for a particular job is based on skills, job availability, university needs, and student preference. The assigned employment opportunity is based on an expectation that the student will work between 10 and 15 hours weekly throughout the fall and spring academic terms; in the case of summer assignments, the expectation is that the student will work between 15 and 35 hours per week. Once a job is assigned, it is anticipated that the student will continue in that position through the entire academic year. Any change in work-study jobs must be made through the financial aid office. 

Other sources of aid

Veterans Benefits

The War Orphans, Widows, and Veterans Educational Assistance Act provides financial assistance to the children or widow of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability or to the dependents of a veteran who has a total disability. Veterans and other persons planning to receive educational assistance benefits from the Veterans Administration (VA) are advised to secure VA approval for training prior to enrollment. Inquiries concerning eligibility should be directed to the veterans coordinator on each campus. A veteran, widow, war orphan, or dependent approved for training should present the Veterans Administration`s Certificate of Eligibility Forms when registering. In order to be certified for Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits, veterans, war orphans, widows, and dependents must present, in person, proof of enrollment to the university Office of Veterans Affairs at the beginning of each term. Veterans planning to train under Chapter 32 VEAP, Chapter 30 of the New (Montgomery) GI Bill of 1984, or Chapter 106 for Reservists are required by the university to pay cash for tuition, fees, books, and supplies, when due. Veterans, in turn, receive an allowance for each month of schooling, based upon credit hours and the number of dependents. No veteran may withdraw officially from a course (or courses) without prior approval from the academic services and/or dean of student's offices. All withdrawals must be submitted in writing. The date of official withdrawal will be the determining date for changes in benefits. Failure to comply with the official college withdrawal procedure may affect both past and future benefits. Any change in schedule also must be reported to the campus Office of Veterans Affairs immediately.


Restrictions on financial aid and employment

Graduate students may not accept simultaneously two different financial awards from the university. Students who have applied for two different awards and are offered both should inquire at the dean`s office of the school of matriculation before acceptance. Students who hold fellowships, assistantships, internships, or Russell Scholarships may not accept employment outside of their academic department without the permission of the graduate director and the dean of the school of matriculation. Graduate students who have received aid administered by the Office of Financial Aid must report to that office any change in income, such as scholarships, loans, gifts, assistantships, or other employment received subsequent to the original aid award.